Sunday, September 19, 2010

No Poo!

Since this is a mommy blog I'm sure most of you are thinking I'm about to go into detail of my children's bathroom/diaper habits.  Sorry to disappoint you, but this is about my experiment in quiting the shampoo addiction.  And other things I'm have been dabbling in this month.

What is the purpose of not using shampoo (or "no poo" as some call it)? 

Well, one reason is that using shampoo every day can strip your hair of it's natural oils and actually cause it to produce more oil than it needs. 

Another reason is that you aren't using chemicals.  Chemicals that end up in your body (and your baby, if you are pregnant or nursing).  These chemicals can do some crazy things to your body and even cause cancer!  Scary!

This is my third week, I think...mommy brain can make four weeks seem like one, and vice versa (sp?).
And to tell you the truth my hair is pretty gunky.  Stephen and my friends tell me it doesn't look bad.
But what do you expect them to say?  Go wash your hair!?
To me my hair feels, ummm....well...like I haven't washed in three weeks.

I'm ready to throw in the towel and sneak into Stephen's shampoo.  (which happens to be natural anyway so I wouldn't feel that bad)  But I did commit myself to at least two months and to tell you the truth I'm not usually that concerned with what my hair looks like....It's in a ponytail 99% of the time anyway.

And it's not like I'm just not washing my hair at all.  I'm using baking soda.  I'm also using baking soda for deodorant and roach bait/poison.  (I know gross, but we all have them for time to time, right?) And the other day I used baking soda to brush my teeth.  Really nasty, but my teeth were nice and slick :)

So, we will see how this all turns out. 

I've also started a whole new way of washing my face.

With oil!  I know.  Yuck, is what most of you are thinking.  But actually some oils, like castor oil, can be quite drying.  And castor oil (which is the main ingredient in the oil face washing combination) really does a good job of drawing out dirt, oil and toxins that are in your pours.   I'm still playing with the different kinds of oils to find out the right combination for my skin, but this is another thing that I'm going to commit myself to for a while to see if it really works.  Here is where I read about the oil cleansing method.

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

Something else I've been into the last couple of months is soap making.  Soap Making!  Now this is exciting!  (I know doesn't take much to get me excited)


I wish computers had smell-a-vision.  It smells that good!
 I first made some wonderful smelling patchouli soap with my mom and sister.  My mom is a veteran soap maker and knew what she was doing.



My friend Lisa and I then made some plain soap to practice with.  It was our first time by ourselves to make soap so we wanted to do something simple.



This week Lisa and I got together again to make soap, this time joined by our good friend Erin.  We decided to get really fancy and make peppermint colored with green swirls.  Fun!  And my whole house now smells like peppermint!  I love it!  


Beautiful!
 I have the soap curing in the boys bathroom and it really helps the whole stinky boy bathroom smell.
Anyone with boys knows what I'm talking about ; )

4 comments:

the herzogs said...

LOVE YOU!!! the soap is so pretty! hang in there with the baking soda hair washing...if it ends up working for you, i might try it again...i can't even find something natural that works. i'm (CRY) using pantene again. sad. also, i switched back to olive oil for my face cleansing - i was using sunflower oil instead and i feel like the olive is more moisturizing for me - i wonder if you would like sunflower? or maybe you're already using it...ANYWAY, love you and this post! oh, and travis is using baking soda for teeth brushing, too!

Jessica said...

I love the green swirl soap!! All the soap pictures are pretty cool!

I've heard of the no poo thing, but I am no where near brave enough to try it. Oh, and the fact that I had no clue that my sister hasn't washed her hair in 3 weeks tells me that we have not talked near enough lately!

and lastly, I brush my teeth with baking soda from time to time and I really like it. haha

Love you!

KJ said...

My sister in law and I were just talking about everything you posted this weekend!! I would love to dabble in soap making! How lucky you are that your Mom is a pro to teach you! I've wanted to do the no-poo thing before too but I'm a little reluctant---I have such a oily scalp! The transition period would be TERRIBLE! I think I would want to miss church on Sundays so no one would see me! HAHA Keep us updated on how it goes! I'm not on facebook anymore, so I love when you write a post on here to see how you're doing! :)

Hannah Andrews said...

KJ! Send me your e-mail address so that we can catch up. scahra82@yahoo.com

How are you feeling? How far along are you?

Why are you off Facebook?